Thursday, October 5, 2017

embRACE: A new club at WMHS


embRACE : A New Club at WMHS, and How it Came About

       In early 2017, I had seen flyers around the school about a panel on race relations. Although I was intrigued, I was reluctant to ask any questions about the panel. Imagine my surprise when Mrs. Donovan called me down to her office. She told me that I had been selected to be one of the panelists on the topic of race relations along with four other students. So, I took advantage of this incredible opportunity.

       Before the actual panel could come about, there was a lot of preparation that had to take place. The first official meeting shortly thereafter at the Boys and Girls Club of Woburn where the other panelists and I were introduced to Nooran Chaudry, then a Social Capital Inc./Americorps member. The first day an introduction about what to expect, to state that we would meet every week and, most importantly, for the panelists to get comfortable with each other. By week two we had established a routine. Every Tuesday from 6-7pm we would gather at The Boys and Girls Club of Woburn and have general discussions about race. Not only was The Boys and Girls Club the most convenient place to meet, it was also a casual setting, which was perfect. Although we were having important discussions, having a more chill environment helped lighten the mood and made it feel more like a hang out rather than a serious meeting. In order to have meaningful and personal discussions, Nooran stressed the importance of every individual having the right to feel safe and the freedom and confidence to express their feelings without fear of being judged or ridiculed for their opinions and personal stories. As a result of this, we had more meaningful discussions.

       After months of training, discussions, and anticipation, it was finally the day of the panel. The panel took place February 15, 2017 at Woburn Memorial High School in the senior cafeteria. The panel included, (now seniors): myself, Mirriam Mananah, Nicole Akhian, Hadassah Carmona, (now Junior) Manar Saeed, and Mr. Martin. Nooran, who who prepared the panelists was now the panel’s moderator, was joined by Mollie O’Brien, also from Social Capital Inc. The point of the panel was to have open discussions about a variety of topics regarding race in our school, state, and country. Therefore, the panelists were asked questions including: “What were some of your earliest experiences with race as an individual?” “ Why is race such an emotional topic to discuss?” “How would you define racism?” “ What is your honest opinion of racial relations in Woburn?” “ Do you think that adults in Woburn are racist/have an influence on racism in this city?” “ Do you think minorities are targeted by public authorities? How will the new president affect racial relations?” I interviewed a few of the panelist on what they felt being on the panel was like. I also asked them how they felt before the panel versus how they felt after the panel. Here was the response from from Hadassah: “I feel like before I was shy to speak my mind because I didn’t want to be judged, but after (the panel) I became more comfortable and confident with my opinions”. Mirriam added, “The race panel has given me a platform to express how I feel and promote a conversation about the issues that should be talked about.” Manar had a few words to add as well: “Well before I was really nervous. It was my first time really even addressing my racial experiences at school and I was nervous to be vulnerable about such a personal issue. Also because it was a last minute thing I didn't have time to prepare, I really just spoke from off the top of my head. After honestly, it was so relieving! The panel wasn't even that long but I felt so close to everyone next to me from what they said. It was cool to walk out of there with a better understanding of what other kids go through too.” Not only was there great feedback from the panelists, but also from the audience members.

       Since last school year, there has been an overwhelming demand for another panel. Instead of the race relations being run by Nooran Chaudry from Social Capital Inc., I, along with Mr. Martin, Mr. Bromley, and Ms. Callanan, have turned it into a WMHS club called “embRACE”.

       embRACE’s mission statement is simple: to bring awareness of racially based issues that students and/or faculty are facing. We strive to create a solution for the problem and in turn, change our school for the better. We hope to create a comfortable environment with a sense of security through speaking in a casual and non-judgmental space. Our goal is to spread understanding throughout our school and community and make not just our voices, but other voices heard. Everyone is equally welcome regardless of race, gender, religion, age, political or personal beliefs, or sexuality. It is important that people understand that this is not an anti-Trump club, not an anti-police club, and it is not a history class. This is simply a club that was created by students for students to have an open minded and honest discussion about the world that we live in.
--Submitted by Michelle Lokong, Staff Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Columns