Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Make the money rain

by Jen Yao
For teens, it is so easy to blow all your money for recreational and leisure purposes such as movie tickets, dresses for the nice weather, the newest Call of Duty: Ghost, a Versailles crepe from Appleseed, another cup of froyo, and the list continues. It is even easier to do so when you make your own money. If you study my bank account activities, it’s all credits to iTunes, Hollister, Kohl’s, Dunkin Donuts – you get the idea.
                However, when I made my final college decision and paid enrollment and room and board deposits, I realized that I really should have not spent so much money on stupid things. Therefore, I strongly advise all to wisely handle their money. Here are some ways I found helpful:      
A matter of necessity If you ask yourself, “Do I really need it?” before buying something and you are completely honest in your response, you will find that the answer is no most of the time. 
To be or not to be – Also, ask yourself, “What will I do with it?” or “Is it going to serve a purpose in my possession?” The answer, sometimes, is nothing or no.
Copycat – Another good question to ponder is whether or not you already have something like it. If you do, you don’t need another one!
photo by Abby Gillis
           Winner in the market – Compare prices and see how much you are saving. Maybe you aren’t. You can wait until when that summer dress is pumped down to $20 instead of $60. Afraid that it won’t have your size or it’ll be sold out once it goes in clearance? You’ll find something better and cheaper in the future. No worries. I am a crazy deal scorer. I mean, it’s in my blood. There have been cases where I saved more than I spent. During such times, I feel absolutely invincible.
      Save the little helpers – Coupons and online codes for 30%, 50%, and 70% off? Save them and you’ll be able to save your money AND get a sick pair of kicks or a cute high-waisted skinny jeans.
Not only are this tips helpful in protecting your money, but there are other techniques as well that can shield your bank account from predators. After working as a bank teller for seven months, I picked up some important methods in protecting yourself.
1.       If you have online banking or an ATM/debit card, change your password every 3 to 6 months. If you forget, go to your branch and the customer service representative/branch manager can help you reset it.
2.       I understand laziness can get in the way, but it’s really important to check your account activities every now and then. Make sure you know what is coming through and for what reasons. The bank tellers and managers can always help you with that if you are unsure.

It hits me every now and again that I am 18 years old and am legally an adult. I am in charge of not only my life and education but also my money. It’s crucial to be smart with finances, because it is produced from your and/or your parents’ hard work and time. It’s a major part of taking care of yourself and growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Columns