Friday, October 18, 2013

Best Buddies: WMHS students making new friendships

by Emily Crampton
Woburn High School offers many diverse and interesting clubs to its students, and one of the most popular is Best Buddies. Best Buddies is a non-profit organization that pairs students with intellectual and developmental disabilities in one-to-one friendships with students without these disabilities. Located world-wide, Best Buddies has chapters in all 50 states, as well as numerous countries around the world. There are chapters in middle schools, including Woburn’s own Joyce Middle School, high schools, and colleges. There are also Best Buddies programs that are not located in schools, such as Best Buddies Promoters, Best Buddies Jobs, Best Buddies Citizens, e-Buddies, and Best Buddies Ambassadors.
Freshman Erika Crampton, new member of Best Buddies at Woburn High but a past member of the Joyce Middle School Best Buddies chapter, shows her passion for Best Buddies and her excitement for the upcoming year.
            “I think it is important to treat everyone equally and be nice to people, and that is what Best Buddies does,” explains Crampton. “It is a really great club and it helps a lot of students with disabilities. I was in Best Buddies throughout middle school, and I am looking forward to joining in high school and having a lot of fun while helping others!”
            Sophomore Julie Doherty is planning on joining Best Buddies this year for the first time.
            “I wanted to join Best Buddies because I really like helping people and I think what Best Buddies does is great. Best Buddies members are true friends to students with disabilities, and everyone needs a friend. This club helps students with disabilities, which may have trouble making friends, form true friendships and they have a lot of fun!” exclaimed Doherty.
            Junior Pat O’Brien has a true passion for Best Buddies and has been a part of Best Buddies since his freshman year. He is now vice president of the Woburn Best Buddies chapter.
            “Best Buddies is different from most other clubs that Woburn High offers. It gives students with disabilities fun opportunities that they might not usually have and I really enjoy spending time with my buddy. We are really great friends,” said O’Brien. “My buddy, Pat, and I enjoy spending time together, going out to eat, and going to the movies. One of our favorite events that Best Buddies held last year was when the chapter went bowling!”
            The Woburn Best Buddies Chapter does activities outside of school once a month. These events include the annual Halloween Party, bowling, attending Best Buddies prom, the annual cookout, and going to movies or holding movie days. Buddy pairs are also encouraged to hang out outside of Best Buddies events. Some friends go out to dinner or to go see a movie, while others prefer to just watch TV at each other’s houses.
            Best Buddies means a lot to student Rahma Mutengu, who has disabilities.
“Best Buddies means so much to me. I get to meet new people, and members of the club are really understanding about my disability. They always stick up for me if I’m being bullied or help me if I need help.  Best Buddies helps me meet new people and make new friends, and it is a lot of fun! My favorite event is by far Best Buddies Prom, because we get to dress up and have a great time with other Best Buddies chapters in the area!” Mutengu stated.

            So far, Best Buddies has already had 116 students apply. Students will forever carry the memories and true friendships they made through Best Buddies with them throughout their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Columns