Wednesday, September 25, 2013

WMHS students reflect on the first week of school

by Kellie Herbert
It’s back to school for Woburn and at the high school everyone has been getting back in to the swing of things with their first week of school! Many teams have already had their first games and some students have already written their first essays of the year.  From the veteran seniors to the newbie freshman, all the students are anticipating a great new school year.
It may be the first week back but seniors are already counting down the days to graduation and that final day in May. Most seniors are already thinking about their transition from high school to college or their transition from high school to careers during their first week back to school. Senior Marjorie Hollohan shares her last first week of high school feelings.           
“The first week of senior year is odd, getting used to being the oldest in the school and learning how to balance college applications with work and homework is something I will have to get used to,” said Hollohan.
Freshmen on the other hand are getting ready to start their four year journey through high school. Finding their way around the high school this week has been an experience notes freshman Molly Herbert.
“This first week I have been kind of nervous because I don’t know my way around all the hallways and staircases. I had no idea what the high school was like from the way lunches worked to the lockers. It has all been a very new experience for me,” said Herbert.
Don’t worry freshmen; it will all be a piece of cake by the time Thanksgiving rolls around!
Ninth grade students aren’t the only new faces this year. There are new teachers and new students who aren’t freshman who are also getting accustomed to Woburn High. Junior MiKaela Hayes who transferred from Covenant Christian Academy shares her take on being a new student at Woburn High.
“Well, everyone has been very welcoming and the teachers are great! The amount of help I have received so far is astounding and I can’t wait for the rest of the year,” said Hayes.
 Also new to the building is English teacher Katherine Lapolice who taught eighth grade English at the Joyce Middle School and is excited to start her new position at the high school.
“It’s very exciting. I’m still getting to know where everything is but I recognize a lot of students from the Joyce, so seeing familiar faces are really helping me to feel comfortable here,” said Lapolice.
She also got an upgrade on her environment from when she was at the Joyce. “I also have a nicer classroom than at the Joyce. I’ve always wanted to teach older students, so we can have more mature conversations and deeper topics. Everyone is really respectful. I’m looking forward to getting to know more students and being here for a long time,” said Lapolice.
Not forgetting the sophomore and juniors, they have also started another year with a clean slate. Sophomore Madeline DiMauro is still missing summer but she is ready to get back in to the school year.
“Although I’d rather be home watching Teen Wolf, it’s been a wonderful week! I really like all my teachers and the freshmen also aren’t as bad as I expected them to be. I haven’t had too much homework. I’m also having a lot of fun at cross country,” said DiMauro.
Teen Wolf will have to wait but the next summer will be here before you know it!

The 2013-2014 school year will be one to remember! The first week is only the tipping point with only 176 days to go! Welcome back Woburn! Make this school year a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Columns