Friday, September 27, 2013

The grass is greener on field hockey’s side

by Emily Crampton and Alex Paladino
The varsity field hockey team at Woburn Memorial High School is one of ambition and aptitude.  This season’s team is shaping up to very adept and successful.
As described by Adrianna Manzi, captain and forward, “We are a great team and we have a lot of potential and talent this year! We have really good chemistry and are a great group of girls.”
Another advocate of this year’s strength, Kate McCall, junior and defender, said, “I think we have improved a lot since last season; our stick work and general sense of the game has gotten better.  As a team we all get along and I think that reflects on the field.”
While being a good team through practice of skill can unite people, at field hockey they go even beyond that.
As senior and captain, Devin Parziale explained, “Our team this year is very hopeful to win more games.  We enjoy our season with pasta parties and other fun activities, like mini-golf and going out to breakfast.  We have a lot of potential to win and we are constantly growing.”
            Unity plays a big role on any team, but especially in a varsity setting with kids from all grades.  In addition each grade has a distinct perspective on the sport.
Kylee Gonsalves, senior, said, “Our team is great! I love playing with everyone.  Being a senior on this team is really scary because it is my last year and I am really going to miss it.  I met some of my best friends playing field hockey and it has been a great couple of years.”
            Junior Karen Thifault said that, “It is really fun being on the team. Everyone gets along and we all really love field hockey.  Even though everyone is in different grades we can work really well together.”
Michelle Miller, a sophomore, shared her view on things, “I think it’s cool that I get to play with the upperclassmen and play on a level higher than JV.  I think it is helping me improve more because I’m playing against people who play at a higher level.  I miss being able to play with my friends on JV, but being a better player is what really matters.”

            The spirit and unity on this varsity field hockey team is evident, and if all goes as plan, it will show on game day, today in Arlington, as they are hoping to improve the record of 1-5.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Columns