Thursday, November 13, 2014

I Think I'm Growing Up

by Meaghan Angers
When you're younger, you dream of being older. You imagine what your high school life will be like and how you will one day be a cool “older kid". You imagined what life would be like when you would finally be like the teenagers on television and in movies.
When I was in elementary school, I went to the Malcolm White right next to the Woburn High and envisioned my life in that big building next door, being a high scholar, no longer a little kid at recess.
            When I was younger, my dream was to be a singer in a band. My friends and I made a band, wrote songs and waited for the day that we would be the opening act for the Jonas Brothers. I thought I could be a student and a rock star like Miley Stewart, also known as Hannah Montana. My dream did not become a reality, though. The band was not successful and no longer exists, nor do I have a desire to pursue a career in music. I have learned that I am not talented enough to make it in the tough business of the music industry.
 
            Growing up, I imagined that my life in high school would include a hot boyfriend. I fantasized about a boy who looked exactly like Joe Jonas. Essentially, I thought that when I was older, I would be dating Joe Jonas. Currently, I have yet to have a boyfriend and have not seen a guy around the high school that has come even close to looking like him.
           
 I imagined myself walking into prom wearing a pair of gauchos, since I thought they were the most stylish thing you could ever wear. Junior prom is approaching and if I wore a pair of gaucho pants, it would be a nightmare more than a dream. I have come to learn that going to prom means wearing a dress, which I could not be more excited for. But my younger self didn’t realize that gaucho pants were not worn by seventeen year old girls going to prom.
            I was also a soccer player until freshman year. Up until I was in 6th grade, my dad was my coach. I thought I would be playing soccer throughout high school and I would be on the varsity team. I thought I would get a college scholarship for playing soccer. But I thought wrong when two years ago, I quit soccer. I went to cross-country and it will always be one of the best decisions I have ever made. Never in my childhood did I imagine myself running miles upon miles or being the captain of a cross-country team. When I was younger, I didn't even know that cross-country or track was a sport that people did.
            When you're a kid you have all these big expectations and that's because no one has the heart to bring you down. High school isn't what I imagined it would be like when I was a kid. I thought you had to have a boyfriend and never knew of my passions, but that's the thing about life. You grow and you learn what really makes you. I'm still growing up; and I'm still continuing to learn who I am.


From playing on a field to finishing at Horn Pond, I found my heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Columns